FRANK J. CARASITI ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (K-2)
90 Rocky Point-Yaphank Road | Rocky Point, NY 11778
Phone: (631) 744-1601 | Fax: (631) 744-1396
Principal: Jason Westerlund | Assistant Principal: Nicole Pletka
School Hours: 9:10 AM - 3:30 PM
Report It Link (code rpfjc)
Invitational Education PPT
Dear FJC Families,
As we look towards the end of another year, and the beginning of a new one, it is certainly an exciting time…especially in the lives of our young learners here at FJC. The season of family traditions, lights, and energy surround us each day. It’s a perfect opportunity for celebrating the excitement of what’s to come as well as reflecting and being grateful for all we have accomplished together.
December is full of fun and engaging events and opportunities as we close out the year together:
- December 1st- End of the first marking period
- December 4th-6th- Little Shoppers sponsored by the PTA
- December 6th- Parent-Teacher Conferences (Afternoon & Evening)- Student ½ day dismissal at 11:45am
- December 7th- Parent-Teacher Conferences (Afternoon)- Student ½ day dismissal at 11:45am
- December 8th- Report Cards posted to the Parent Portal
- December 8th- Second Grade Field tip to Brookhaven National Lab (scheduled classes)
- December9th- PTA Holiday Boutique at the MS from 9am-3pm
- December 11th- 2nd Grade Winter Concert Dress Rehearsal Assembly (students only)
- December 12th- 2nd Grade Winter Concert-HS Aud. at 7pm
- December 12th- Second Grade Field tip to Brookhaven National Lab (scheduled classes)
- December 13th- Shared Decision Making Mtg. at 3:30pm
- December 14th- Second Grade Field tip to Brookhaven National Lab (scheduled classes)
- December 15th- Second Grade Field tip to Brookhaven National Lab (scheduled classes)
- December 18th- FJC Sing-a-long (Students only)
- December 22nd- Annual reading of the Polar Express (students only)
- December 25-January 1st- Winter Recess-School Closed
We will also close out the
month with our Holiday Spirit Week (Dec.
18th-22nd) All who are interested are welcome to
- Merry Monday (12/18)-
Wear your favorite Holiday shirt/sweater, or colors
- Tinsel Tuesday (12/19)-
Wear your Holiday accessories; hats, necklaces, socks, etc.
- Winter Wonderland Wednesday
(12/20)- Wear white, blue, or snowflakes
- Holiday Character Theme Thursday
(12/21)- Wear clothing with your favorite Holiday character
- T’was the Night Before Winter Break Friday (12/22)- Pajama Day
Whatever traditions you celebrate, we wish you and your families the very best. May the cold days outside bring you all closer inside, as we look forward to 2024 together.
As always, thank you for your
partnership as we continue to make FJC the place to be!
Jason Westerlund, Principal
Nicole Pletka, Assistant Principal
Inclement Weather Closings
When school is closed due to inclement weather, bad road conditions, or other emergencies, please listen to one of the following radio/TV stations for the announcements regarding Rocky Point Schools:
WALK Storm Center 97.5 FM; WBLI /WBAB Storm Center 106.1 FM; WRCN 103.9 FM; NEWS 12 LI
The Rocky Point Union Free School District uses Connect-ED, a school-to-parent telephone notification system, as part of our efforts to communicate more effectively with parents or guardians. Connect-ED will enable the Rocky Point Union Free School District to notify families immediately in the event of a snow day or school-wide emergency. The system can deliver up to 3,000 messages within minutes—ensuring that you quickly know what's going on. To receive these messages, FJC must have your up-to-date contact information. If you move, change jobs, or obtain a new cell phone number, be sure to log onto the eSchool Parent Portal to update your information so you won't miss a single Connect-ED message.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening
When road conditions in the early morning are hazardous but are expected to improve rapidly as the morning progresses, the District may utilize a two-hour delayed opening for all schools. Students will report to their bus stops exactly two hours later than they normally would. Dismissal for all schools will be at their normal times. This delayed opening may also be used for other emergencies. Notice of the delayed opening will be made as early as possible and broadcast on the listed radio stations and TV-Cablevision News 12 and the District's Connect-ED Telephone Notification System will be activated. In the event that we cannot transport students to school as a result of a “two-hour delayed opening” based on forecast predictions for improved weather and conditions by 7 AM, school officials will announce that schools will be closed. It is important that you continue to listen carefully for just such announcements.
Inclement Bus Stops
Inclement weather bus stops are available on the eSchool Parent Portal. Due to the geographic nature of our area, “inclement” weather stops will be utilized when adverse road conditions exist. At various times during the winter season, inclement weather bus stops will be used to ensure the safety of our student population. The use of these stops may be necessary at any time during the school day, without prior announcement. Parents should listen to the radio stations or call First Student Transit at 744-2204 if they have any questions regarding whether or not the Inclement Weather Bus Stops will be used. The district's voice mail will also have the announcement. Please make arrangements for someone to meet children at these alternate stops.